By Steven G. Laitz
Starting with song basics, this article covers all of the subject matters worthwhile for an intensive figuring out of undergraduate song concept by means of targeting tune in context. The textual content hyperlinks all of the initiatives that contain a tonal conception curriculum, explicitly connecting written conception (writing and analysis), abilities (singing, taking part in, and dictation), and music-making open air the idea class.
* offers an excellent caliber, volume, and variety of workouts aimed toward actual song and genuine tune situations
* Explores not just common four-voice concord, but in addition different musical domains together with melody, counterpoint, and a large number of textures; the result's a textual content with applicability and relevance to all musicians
* comprises virtually 4,500 musical examples from the common-practice repertoire within the textual content and workbooks, greater than ninety percentage of that are at the CDs incorporated with the textual content and workbooks--nearly twenty hours of tune on MP3 records (all tune is played, recorded, and engineered at Eastman)
NEW TO THIS EDITION
* Revised with starting scholars in mind, this variation includes extra uncomplicated routines in addition to ideas to chose workouts within the textual content. Longer and more challenging workouts were moved to the workbooks.
* Streamlined and reorganized with fewer chapters (31, down from 37), the textual content offers the main ordinarily taught themes in series and strikes less-common topics--such as invertible counterpoint, compound melody, and rationale (covered in chapters 15, sixteen, and 23 of the former edition)--to the appendices, the place teachers may perhaps entry them as their person curriculum allows, or put out of your mind them altogether.
* This version bargains a brand new presentation of fundamentals: the 1st 3 chapters supply a evaluate and synthesis for college students with event in track basics, and a 75-page appendix introduces key suggestions for college students with very little event. this enables teachers to decide on the pacing that most closely fits their classification and person scholars.
* a number of musical examples comprise guiding annotations, with textural and structural savings of extra complicated examples.
* This variation offers greater than 250 new literature excerpts and whole works for research and dictation, together with new instrumental combinations.
* New appendices supply extra aid: Appendix five covers terms and abbreviations utilized in the textual content and Appendix 6 comprises selected solutions to exercises within the text.
* the hot spouse Website (www.oup.com/us/laitz) presents teacher and pupil assets that come with supplementary drill workouts.
* The Instructor's Manual offers ideas to the entire dictation routines, pattern suggestions for greater than 250 writing (e.g., figured bass and melody harmonization) and analytical routines, supplementary examples, workouts, and instructing guidance that aspect powerful thoughts for every chapter.
* the 2 workbooks were considerably reorganized: Workbook 1 is now devoted to written and analytical actions, together with figured bass, melody harmonization, version composition, and research. Workbook 2 covers musicianship abilities. workouts inside of every one bankruptcy of Workbook 2 are equipped by means of task style: making a song arpeggiations of the chord being studied, then inside of a music from the literature; two-part making a song; dictation; keyboard; then instrumental software.